Master of Teaching Secondary: Frequently Asked Questions > Graduate School of Education: The University of Western Australia

Graduate School of Education

Master of Teaching Secondary: Frequently Asked Questions


Q1: What is the closing date for application to the Master of Teaching Secondary and where do I apply?

A: All students will be able to apply online. For more information:

Review the how to apply information for closing dates, for:

Australian students

International students

Back to top

Q2: What is the selection process for entry to the Master of Teaching Secondary?

A: Selection is competitive and is based on academic merit, relevance of the undergraduate degree and a personal statement outlining why you want to be a teacher.

Back to top

Q3: When does the course commence?

A: Semester 1 2018, commences on Monday 26 February (compulsory induction day the week prior)

B: Semester 2 2018, commences on Monday 16 July (commencing students will have to study part time)

Back to top

Q4: Where can I find information on course fees?

A: Unit fee information

International students should review the international fees or contact the International Centre for further information.

Back to top

Q5: Which teaching majors and minors are available?


A: The major areas of study offered in our program are:

  • Art
  • English
  • Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (HASS) - History, Geography, Economics, Politics
  • Information and Communication Technology
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Physical Education/Health
  • Science (Physical or Biological)

The minor teaching areas offered are:

  • Art,
  • English,
  • Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (HASS)
  • Mathematics,
  • Music
  • Science

Area of specialisation:

  • Career Development
  • Information and Communications Technology
  • Special Education 

Back to top

Q6: What are the prerequisites for a major teaching area?

A: You must have a degree with a major in the subject you wish to teach and this subject must be found in the school curriculum. The major in your degree is defined as at least 6 semester units of study in the discipline with at least two of those units studied at second year university level and two at third year university level. The major teaching area will prepare you to teach students in years 7 to 12.

Back to top

Q7: What are the pre-requisites for a minor teaching area?

A: The prerequisite for the minor is four semester units of study with at least two units studied at second year university level. The minor teaching area must be in a different discipline from your major area. The minor teaching area will prepare you to teach students in years 7 to 10.

If you do not have a second discipline area in your degree then you may choose one of three areas of interest for which there is no prerequisite. These are:

  • Career Development
  • Information and Communication Technology
  • Special Education
Back to top

Q8: How many weeks of teaching practice are there?

A: Review the teaching practice timetable for the specific dates of teaching practice. During this period of time full-time attendance in school is a requirement. 

Back to top

Q9: What will I be qualified for once I have completed the degree?

A: You will be eligible for registration with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia and qualified to teach in secondary schools in Australia and overseas.

Back to top

Q10: Is the workload heavy?

A: While the workload is not unlike that of a graduate teacher, it is heavier than in a typical undergraduate academic year. The contact time for a full-time enrolment in Semester 1 is approximately 15 hours, and 10 hours in Semester 2. Part-time contact hours depend on the number of units in which you are enrolled. Prospective students should note that there is a great deal of out-of-class work to be done in preparation for workshops, seminars and assessment tasks.

Back to top

Q11: Can I work full-time and study full-time?

A: The lecture schedule is very busy and there is a great deal of out-of-class work to be done in preparation for workshops, seminars and assessment tasks. Since much of this work is focused on preparing you to be effective classroom teachers with responsibility for the learning of your students, it is expected that you will give full attention to the assignment work. It is therefore unlikely that you will be able to work full-time, fulfil your teaching practice responsibilities and successfully complete the course.

Back to top

Q12: Can I qualify to be a Special Education teacher?

Studying our Special Education units as an area of interest does not directly lead to an appointment at a Special Education Centre. The Department of Education requires you to register and you need to confirm this process with them. It happens after you have completed your initial teaching studies.

Back to top

Q13: When are the non-teaching periods?

Please see the academic calendar.

Back to top

Q14: Where can I find further information regarding the course

A: Further information about the course is available here Master of Teaching Secondary. For enrolment information please see Course advice.

Back to top

Q15. Where can I find information on clearances for professional practice?

A: A professional practice checklist has been prepared for you to review including details on prerequisite clearances information. Pre-service teachers are not permitted to participate in professional practice without a National Police History Check (NPHC) through the Department of Education (DoE) and a Working with Children Check (WWCC).

Back to top

Q16: How long does it take to complete this course?

A: The Master of Teaching Secondary is a two year full-time course completed after a bachelor's degree in a relevant field. It is also available part-time usually over three years. Please note that part-time does not mean after hours. Most of the program is delivered between 9am and 4pm, with only a few units available after 4pm. We will be introducing a pathway to complete the 2 year course in 18 months in 2018.

Back to top

Q17: What are the pre-requisites for the Gradate Diploma in School Psychology?

A: The prerequisite for School Psychology is a four-year degree in psychology.

Back to top

Q18: Do I need to sit the National Literacy and Numeracy Test?

Yes it is a requirement for completion of EDUC5000. It is extremely important that you understand that all initial teacher education students enrolled from January 2017 are required to sit the National Literacy and Numeracy Test. See the Federal Government StudentsFirst site for further details.

Back to top

Q19: Can I study full-time and work part-time?

Classes are not normally recorded and participation in workshops is assessed. During professional practice you will need to be available full-time for five weeks in semester 1 and six weeks in semester 2. It is not possible to change dates for professional practice because of agreements with school sectors. Please consider this information before applying.

Back to top

Q20: Do I need to attend the compulsory teacher inducation?

A compulsory teacher education induction day is held the week before formal classes commence. It is very important that you attend. You will need to complete forms for professional practice, apply for a Working with Children Check and National Police Clearance, undertake a compulsory literacy and numeracy test and receive important information about the course.

Back to top

This Page
Last updated:
Friday, 29 September, 2017 4:04 PM

Website Feedback: