Master of Teaching Primary - Frequently Asked Questions > Graduate School of Education: The University of Western Australia

Graduate School of Education

Master of Teaching Primary - Frequently Asked Questions


Q1. What are the closing dates for application to the Master of Teaching (Primary) and where do I apply?

A: All students will be able to apply online. For more information:

Review the Master of Teaching Primary how to apply information for closing dates, for:

Back to top

Q2. What is the selection process for entry to the Master of Teaching (Primary)?

A: Selection is competitive and is based on academic merit and a statement outlining why you want to be a teacher.

The statement should be approximately one A4 page in length. It is essential that applicants with fails, late withdrawals or poor academic performance in their post-secondary or tertiary studies outline the circumstances that led to the poor performance and why those circumstances will not apply to any subsequent studies undertaken at UWA.

You may also be required to be interviewed.

Back to top

Q3. How long is the course?

A: The Master of Teaching (Primary) is a two year course. Mid-year commencement is only available as part-time mode of study.

Back to top

Q4. Where can I find information on fees?

A: Fee information.

International students should review the international fees or contact the International Centre for further information.

Mid-year commencement is not available to International students.

Back to top

Q5. Are there any pre-requisites for the Master of Teaching (Primary)?

A: The pre-requisite for the Master of Teaching (Primary) is a three-year bachelor’s degree. This undergraduate degree must include at least one year of full time equivalent study relevant to one or more learning areas of the primary school curriculum.

Back to top

Q6. How many weeks of teaching practice are there?

A: Review the teaching practice timetable for the specific dates of teaching practice. During this periods full-time attendance in school is a requirement.

Back to top

Q7. Where can I find information on police clearances for professional practice?

A: A professional practice checklist has been prepared for you to review including details on prerequisite clearances information. Pre-service teachers are not permitted to participate in professional practice without a National Police History Check (NPHC) through the Department of Education (DoE) and a Working with Children Check (WCC).

Back to top

Q8. Can I study externally?

A: No, the course is not offered externally.

Back to top

Q9. Is the workload heavy?

A: While the workload is not unlike that of a graduate teacher, it is heavier than in a typical undergraduate year. Although the contact time varies between semesters, prospective students should note that there is a great deal of out-of-class work to be done in preparation for workshops, seminars, assessment tasks and Professional Practice.

Back to top

Q10. Why a Master's degree?

A: The Master of Teaching degree involves two years of intensive study of education that prepares highly skilled professionals who have a deep understanding of teaching and student learning and the potential for future leadership roles.

The core component of the course is the teaching of literacy and numeracy. The program has a strong clinical focus on teaching children who have difficulty in reading and maths. Students will be introduced to the breadth of learning required in primary teaching including science, music, dance, visual arts, health and physical education and have the opportunity to practise their teaching skills in two extended school placements.

Back to top

Q11. Where can I find further information regarding the course?

A: Review the course information. For enrolment information please see Course advice.

Back to top

Q12: Do I need to sit the National Literacy and Numeracy Test?

It is extremely important that you understand that all initial teacher education students enrolled from January 2017 are required to sit the National Literacy and Numeracy Test. Failure to pass this test may mean that you are unable to graduate. The test is highly recommended for the remainder of 2016. See the Federal Government StudentsFirst site for further details.

Back to top

Q13: Do I need to attend orientation?

A compulsory teacher education induction day is held the week before formal classes commence. It is very important that you attend. You will need to complete forms for professional practice, apply for a Working with Children Check and National Police Clearance, undertake a compulsory literacy test and receive important information about the course.

Back to top