Master of Teaching Early Childhood: Frequently Asked Questions > Graduate School of Education: The University of Western Australia

Graduate School of Education

Master of Teaching Early Childhood: Frequently Asked Questions


Q1: What are the closing dates for application to the Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) and where do I apply?

A: All students will be able to apply online. For more information:

Review the Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) how to apply information for closing dates, for:

Australian students

International students

Back to top

Q2: What is the selection process for entry to the Master of Teaching (Early Childhood)?

A: Selection is competitive and is based on the AITSL program entry standards ( ). Entrants are selected according to academic and non-academic characteristics. All applicants must submit a personal statement based on AITSL program entry standards and inherent requirements. The GSE Personal Statement template must be used. The minimum WAM for entry is 60% although in some circumstances this cut-off can be waived if the applicant has relevant work experience or other relevant mitigating circumstances. In such cases, the candidate may be invited for an interview.

Back to top

Q3: How long is the course?

A: The Master of Teaching Early Childhood can now be completed in 18 months in an accelerated offering where students will need to enrol in units in the summer period. We also have the standard two year full-time course. It is also available part-time usually over three years. Please note that part-time does not mean after hours. 

Back to top

Q4: When does the course commence?

A: Semester 1 2020, commences on Monday 24 February (compulsory induction day the week prior)

B: Semester 2 2020, commences on Monday 20 July (available for part-time study mode only)

Back to top

Q5: How many weeks of teaching practice are there?

A: Review the teaching practice timetable for the specific dates of teaching practice. Please note pre-service teachers must be available during the scheduled professional practice periods as per the Graduate School of Education calendar. Pre-service teachers are required to give a full-time commitment to the school at which they are undertaking their practicum during the scheduled days.

Back to top

Q6: Where can I find information on clearances for professional practice?

A: You will be provided with information during Orientation and through LMS/SONIA online.

You are required to have a Working With Children Check (WWCC) and a National Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) through the Department of Education prior to commencing your Professional Practice.

1. A National Coordinated Criminal History Check (NCCHC) through the Department of Education (DoE).

Apply online at the DoE website – Original documents will need to be verified by the Graduate School of Education at UWA.

2. A Working with Children Check (WWCC).

Application forms from any post office, or see for further information. A section of the form is to be completed by and signed by an authorised representative from the GSE. Please bring in your form to reception so this can be done prior to presenting it to the post office for processing. Please note: You need to be enrolled in a professional practice unit (or a designated unit) before the School can sign the form.

Back to top

Q7: Where can I find information on fees?

A: Fee information.

International students should review the international fees or contact the fees team via AskUWA for further information.

Back to top

Q8: Are there any pre-requisites for the Master of Teaching (Early Childhood)?

A: The pre-requisite for the Master of Teaching (Early Childhood) is a three-year bachelor’s degree. This undergraduate degree must include at least one year of full time equivalent study relevant to one or more learning areas of the early childhood school curriculum.

Back to top

Q9: Can I study externally?

A: No, the course is not offered externally.

Back to top

Q10: Is the workload heavy?

A: While the workload is not unlike that of a graduate teacher, it is heavier than in a typical undergraduate year. Although the contact time varies between semesters, prospective students should note that there is a great deal of out-of-class work to be done in preparation for workshops, seminars, assessment tasks and Professional practice.

Back to top

Q11: Why a Master's degree?

A: The Master of Teaching degree involves two years of intensive study of education that prepares highly skilled professionals who have a deep understanding of teaching and student learning and the potential for future leadership roles.

Back to top

Q12: Where can I find further information regarding the course?

A: Review the course information. For enrolment information please see Course advice.

Back to top

Q13: Do I need to sit the National Literacy and Numeracy Test?

Yes. It is a requirement of the Australian Federal Government that you pass the LANTITE to demonstrate your literacy and numeracy competence. Successful completion of the LANTITE is also a requirement to pass EDUC5000 and to graduate. Details on registering for the LANTITE, practicing the LANTITE, sitting the LANTITE and receiving your results can be found at Please pay particular attention to the test windows and when your results are released. You will need to provide us with proof of successful completion of the LANTITE to pass EDUC5000 and to graduate.

Back to top

Q14: Do I need to attend the compulsory teacher induction?

A compulsory teacher induction day is held the week before formal classes commence. It is very important to attend. You will need to complete forms for professional practice, and apply for a Working with Children Check and National Police Clearance. You will also receive important information about the course.

Back to top

This Page
Last updated:
Tuesday, 15 October, 2019 2:48 PM

Website Feedback: